I attended
my grandfather’s – Pop-pop’s – funeral yesterday. It was full of love and
sadness. His body is now a pile of ashes, sitting in a lovely wooden urn with
trees and mountains on it. I didn’t know urns could be like that. I thought “I’d
like that” and it was strange to find another thing in common with my
grandfather after he had passed.
He loved
birds and, since his death (and it being Spring), I’ve noticed them being louder
than ever. It’s amazing to realize that his legacy is ever-present and easy:
something I can reach for really at any moment to remind me of him. He was a
teacher. A professor. And he touched the lives of many. They were present – in spirit
– at his funeral. He was a quiet force.
And I am his
legacy too. I feel loving responsibility to continue the force he created in
the world.
My body and
I stuffed ourselves full of food that we thought would make us feel better, but
it didn’t. I’m back “on land” now and getting resituated, but with a different
feeling. The depth is okay. Being kind to others, openly, is fine and people
notice. Pop-pop did that for people. He made them feel like they mattered and
then connected them to something bigger (nature, history) to gain perspective.
I ended up
listening to Amy Poehler’s book on the way home. Turns out I have a lot in
common with her too. Many reminders this weekend that though our bodies are
quite different, we are all connected. Ubuntu.
No comments:
Post a Comment