I am one of those annoying people who started a cleanse
yesterday and want to tell you ALL about it. I will share more details as they
become relevant, but to give you some background: I’m doing the Standard Process
Cleanse.
I learned about it at a retreat I went to in 2013. A
wellness expert was speaking and talking about the evils of Diet Coke. I had
stopped drinking it when I had heard her, and shared with her that I used to
drink around 10 Diet Cokes a day. If I’m being honest, that would be a light
day. I don’t know what I was doing – what I was replacing with the soda. But I
know it had an impact. My stomach has been unreliable for as long as I can
remember. So, her advice was “for any diet coke drinkers out there…” was to do
the Standard Process Cleanse to work towards a healthy gut.
At first, “healthy gut” felt like an oxy-moron. Isn’t a “gut”
what I’m trying to avoid? I had only thought about a flat stomach, not
necessarily a healthy one. I was curious. Looking back, it was the first time I
had even thought about microbiome or the role it play in how we look, sure, but
also how healthy we are. Microbiome is little microorganisms and bacteria and
viruses that live on our skins and in our bodies. The largest collection of
microbiome live in our gastro tract – so where the food goes.
Your microbiome is shaped by environmental factors,
including what you eat and drink, what other toxins you’re exposed to, etc. So,
I’m doing this cleanse to make sure my microbiome is moving towards healthy.
And – the coolest part – is that I am tracking it too!
I signed up for a kit from ubiome, an organization that
gives you a reading of your microbiome. I am going to do the reading before and
after see how things shake out.
That’s what’s happening! My body and I are working together,
in concert, to create a healthy gut. I am working on giving it the food and
nourishment it needs and my hope is that it will still be it’s beautiful
resilient self and work with me on this.
So, more to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment